When dimmed, LED lamps may become susceptible to a temporary or permanent flickering. Care in selecting the right lighting dimmer or controller for the desired LED lamp is important so the risk of LED flickering can be reduced. Sources of LED lamp flicker can come from a range of different locations and often at the same time, for example:
- Mains supply instability.
- Noise on the mains supply or dimming system.
- Dimming system not loaded correctly.
- Too many or to few LED lamps are being used per lighting circuit.
- LED driver design.
- Dimmer level set too low.